We are pleased to offer our new health tax checking service for all individuals

Sometimes when you’re working you can end up paying too much Income Tax. Particularly, this can happen if you change jobs often or have more than one job at the same time.

We will review your circumstance and if you’ve paid too much tax we can take the appropriate steps to apply for a refund.

When might you have overpaid tax through your job?

You may have paid too much tax if:

  • you started a new job and had an emergency tax code for a while
  • your employer was using the wrong tax code
  • you were only employed for part of the year
  • you’re a student who only worked at holiday times and didn’t complete form P38S Student Employees
  • you had more than one job at the same time
  • other income you have which is taxed through your tax code e.g. savings/investment income has reduced since you last told HM Revenue & Customs about it – which means the amount of income included in your tax code is too high
  • you stopped working and didn’t get any taxable earnings or benefits for the rest of the year
  • your circumstances changed – for example you changed from full to part-time working or became self-employed
  • you were made redundant
  • you received payments after leaving such as arrears of pay, payments in lieu of notice, unpaid holiday pay, redundancy or termination payments including compensation for loss of office or employment